Lucius Franklin Badger, MD (1893-1972) was assistant director of the National Institutes of Health from 1942 to 1948. In 1950 he became director of the leprosy control section of the Communicable Disease Center in Atlanta, Georgia, a position he held until retiring in 1957. After retirement he served as consultant to Carville Hospital, Louisiana. He was a member of the International Leprosy Association, American Medical Association and the Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. Much contemporary research on leprosy in the US is indebted to Badger's persistence in setting up a Public Health Service Research Committee on Leprosy in the 1950's.
International Journal of Leprosy, Centennial Festskrift edition, Vol 41, No 2. 1973.