International Leprosy Association -
History of Leprosy

International Leprosy Association -
History of Leprosy

Database

St Bartholomew's Hospital

Location

Category Leprosarium
Country Malta

Notes

St Bartholomew's Hospital Malta was established as a separate building in the "Poor House - St Vincent de Paule Hospital" grounds in 1900. Originally occupied by males only, the female wing opened in 1912. The hospital population reached its highest in 1917, with 114 inmates (71 males; 43 females). The leprosarium was named St Bartholomew's Hospital in 1937. In 1956, the leprosarium was described as an old, but fine and spacious building, with a bed complement of 118 beds. However during 1953-54, it only housed an average of 74 patients. The hospital had better amenities than many of the other hospitals in Malta. The wards, corridors, and gardens were noted to be spacious and pleasing. There was an entertainment hall, and efforts were being made to organise shows and outings for the inmates. The hospital was managed by one medical officer, the Medical Superintendent. The building was renamed Ruzar Briffa Hospital in 1973 to commemorate the physician who had beena torch bearer in the control of leprosy. The decrease in the number of patients, following the Leprosy Eradication Project of 1972, allowed for the closure of St Bartholomew's Hospital in the late 1970s and in February 1980 was taken over to augment the geriatric services at St Vincent de Paule Hospital (now renamed Has-Serh Hospital). Leprosy Archives: The Maltese Islands compiled by C Savona-Ventura, the Grand Priory of the Maltese Islands, the Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem, Malta, 2006, p.14)

Go back to previous page.