The leprosy asylum at Neyoor was founded by Dr Edwin Sargood Fry in 1888. The asylum complex included a chapel, a dispensary and rooms for over forty patients. One major figure in the history of the medical mission at Neyoor is Dr T Howard Somervell (1890-1975), who spent twenty-nine years at this mission.
A history of the mission hospital and leprosarium at Neyoor can be found on the CSI Medical Mission website.
SOAS Archival Sources on Medicine and Health (PDF, 135 pages)
Entry updated 18 October, 2006; February 2016