James Laidlaw Maxwell, MD, BS, CBE (1873-1951) was a Scottish doctor and a member of the Presbyterian Church of England. He spent 50 years engaged in medical missionary work caring for leprosy sufferers and striving to bring about the eradication of the disease. After his first 20 years in Formosa, he continued his work in mainland China where he was at the fore in promoting medical education and the development of various medical missionary institutions. From 1927-1940 acted as an advisor for The Leprosy Mission for Eastern Asia and in 1929 became head of the department of field research at the Lester Institute, Shanghai. He was an active member of the International Leprosy Association and attended the first ILA conference in Manila in 1931. In 1937 he became director of the Institute of Hospital Technology, Hankow. In 1949 he volunteered to return to China and was instrumental in forming the agricultural settlement at Zangpeh in association with the leprosy hospital at Hangchow. Maxwell authored numerous papers addressing various aspects of leprosy in China.
International Journal of Leprosy, Centennial Festskrift edition, Vol 41, No 2. 1973.
There is a biography in the International Journal of Leprosy19.4 (1951):491-3.