Ralph Hopkins, MD (1876-1945) conducted a clinic at the US Marine Hospital at Carville once each week for more than 40 years and in 1921 became its consulting dermatologist. His contributions to the medical literature on leprosy include articles on the early use of chaulmoogra oil and on lepra fever. For 20 years he conjointly held the positions of assistant professor of dermatology and assistant professor of physiology at Tulane University. In 1926 became head of Department of Dermatology at Charity Hospital and Tulane University. He was editor of the New Orleans Medical and Surgical Journal and contributed many articles to various journals related to leprosy.
International Journal of Leprosy, Centennial Festskrift edition, Vol 41, No 2. 1973.